Rabbinic Internship 2017-2018
An exciting new start up, www.unorthodoxcelebrations.com, is looking to ensure that all those looking for thoughtful and effective Jewish clergy to officiate at weddings and other life cycle events can find them, and have a warm and welcoming experience with the Jewish community at this important touch point in their lives.
Unorthodox Celebrations is looking to hire a Rabbinical or Graduate student intern for the next academic year. Already, we've built a network of over 400 rabbis and clergy, and matched them hundreds of families.
Beyond the basic activities needed, there is significant opportunity for a portion of this internship to go in a number of possible directions, depending on the student’s interest.
· Run match program between couples and officiants
· Support officiants through sign up process and maintain officiant network
· Develop materials to support improving the match process, including electronic communications, follow up surveys, etc
· Develop relationships with relevant partner organizations
Potential Activities for Clergy / Focus on Developing Lifecycle and Marginalized Communities Focus:
· Receive mentorship and have access to potentially officiate numerous unorthodox lifecycle events
· Pull together research and best practices to support clergy to effectively officiate interfaith, queer, and non-traditional weddings and lifecycle events
Potential Activities for Social Innovation and Management Focus:
· Receive mentorship and help to develop Unorthodox Celebrations’ 5 year business plan, including for profit vs. non profit status, growth potential, revenue models
· Expand systems and protocol to support expansion
· Explore market growth potential and support significant outreach and marketing Additional opportunities for students with experience in computer programming
The ideal candidate will:
· Have a strong commitment to developing an American Jewish Community which is welcoming of Jews of many different backgrounds and levels of engagement
· Be a Rabbinical, Cantorial or Graduate Student in a relevant field
· Have strong attention to detail and drive to ensure that work gets done at top quality
· Be comfortable with Google Docs and email communications programs (i.e. mailchimp)
· Have strong communication skills (i.e. when talking to couples and officiants)
· Have an innovative, creative, (and flexible!) spirit, and be excited to help develop a brand new project No prior experience with the specific focus area or start ups necessary, but relevant experience will definitely be taken into consideration.
Founder Rabbi Getzel Davis are committed to ensuring this is a growthful experience, and will support the student with additional opportunities to connect to relevant mentors.
Logistics: Location: remote. Potential for in person supervision if based in Boston MA. Must have regular access to computer, Internet, and phone.
Hours: Ideally 8-10/week, potential for flexibility higher or lower. Must generally be able to do minor email communication at least once every 48 hours to field new inquiries.
Compensation: Base hourly wage with bonuses for each family successfully matched.
Interested students should send cover letter outlining relevant experience and interest, resume, and 2 references to Unorthodoxcelebrations@gmail.com, subject line: Internship Application – Full Name. Priority deadline: August 10, 2017. Given the unusual nature of this internship, feel free to be in touch with questions sooner.